“What do you love most about life?”
That was the question asked to 150 children and teenagers across the autism spectrum. Inside this book are their uplifting, insightful answers.
In making this book I sought out answers from autistic young people of all ages, abilities and backgrounds – hailing from twenty different countries worldwide – and put them together to form the most positive autism-related book you’re ever likely to read.
Having grown up with autism myself, I know how unfair it is that we are often seen by our weaknesses before our strengths. So I thought it was time to turn it around, and share our positive insights with the rest of the world. The children’s answers are as unique as the children themselves, and demonstrate the positives of seeing life from an alternative perspective. And at the same, the book aims to speak out against negative autism stereotypes.
This book would be the perfect gift for:
- Young people on the autism spectrum who feel alone or isolated;
- Families affected by autism, who value the uplifting moments and insights children on the spectrum can give;
- Schools with autistic students;
- Mental health clinics or hospitals;
- Libraries and bookstores;
- Anyone in general who is curious about autistic perspectives on life.
Customer feedback for What We Love Most About Life:
“I presented my mom with her copy at lunch the other day, and she cried in the restaurant. She says it’s one of the best gifts she’s ever received.”
“Thanks so much, already had a flick through with my Son who is just going through a diagnosis. On days where I worry about the what the future may bring this is going to be my first port of call for a dose of positivity. Thank you.”
“We have had some family members asking to see the book, and they loved it. Scrolling through the pages, and asking questions about peoples diagnosis’ and acronym meanings, etc. These family members were not the quickest to get on board with our autism world, but they have been trying, and your book has been a help in that journey. As every page is filled with joy and a different tale to tell in this world. Thank you.”
“These are the most spectacular people ever!”
-Egan, aged 14
After a very successful Kickstarter campaign which saw over 1,200 sold or donated, What We Love Most About Life is now permanently on sale.
In order to get a copy:
- Buy it from PrintTrail here (this is the book’s main site, so it’s by far the most reliable option);
- Or take a look at the book’s UK Amazon page;
- Or take a look at the book’s US Amazon page;
- Or send a message to Autistic not Weird’s Facebook page with your email and postal addresses;
- Or send an email to autisticnotweird [at] hotmail.com.
The world is full of negativity towards autism. I think it’s time for a change. And for those who order a copy/copies of this book, I hope these young people can help you find even more things to love about life.
What We Love most About Life: insights from 150 children across the autism spectrum is copyright © 2016 to Chris Bonnello of Autistic Not Weird.
Book design © 2016 Nancy J Price of myria.com.
Chris Bonnello is an autism speaker, available to lead talks and training sessions from the perspective of an autistic former teacher. For further information please click here (opens in new window).
Copyright © Chris Bonnello 2015-2017